I am currently looking for anyone who would like to be a guest blogger on Crafting With Training Wheels. Please contact me via E-mail which can be found on my "Contact" page if you are interested. Thank you!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Monogram Wood Block with A Little Knick Knack

Hello all!


I'm so happy to be here at Crafting with Training Wheels today! Isn't the name alone just wonderful? I love seeing all the variety of crafts, tutorials, recipes and furniture re-do's here! There are so many beautiful things to see, I can spend pretty much all of chore-time looking at this site!


Well, let me introduce myself. My name is Meg and I live over at A Little Knick Knack. I've been blogging for about a year and a half, and started partly to keep my sanity (3 kids under 5 - enough said) and partly to brag a little bit about what I've been working on! I realized my husband was tired of me going, "honey, what do you think about this? But do you like it? WHY??? " So, here I am! I love to have wonderful giveaways, product reviews and guest bloggers! I just finished a "SEW Basic" sewing series with another blog-friend, where we showed the step-by-step, BASIC (like, how to thread a needle) instructions and sewed a pillowcase. I also have a weekly link party every Friday called Everything but the Kitchen Sink, where the rules are--there are no rules. I'd love for you to come join!


Today, I'm going to show you how to make a monogram wood block. Catchy title, right? I found a nice 2" thick, 4' long board in the remnants bin at Home Depot for $.50. They cut it for me for free, into pieces about 5 1/2" long.


I took those pieces home and spray painted them various colors. These decorative finials I found in the furniture aisle at LOWE'S (they do NOT sell these guys at Home Depot...grrrr.....). They come 2 to a package for approximately $3/package. They are wonderful because they have screws in the bottom and are very easy to secure to your block.


I use floral form to stabalize them while I paint.








Of course, I realized I couldn't paint them all at the same time if I used different colors. Duh. So, they got painted in shifts.








While I waited for them to dry, I used my drill to  make a hole in the top and then simply screwed my finials into the hole.








Get your sandpaper (I use a really rough grain, from 100 - 150) and sand the edges and corners.


Here's the fun part. Grab some burlap, your craft bond adhesive spray, and your stayz-on ink...








Use the Stayz-on ink to lightly distress the sides, corners and top of the finial.








Cut a piece of burlap slightly smaller than the front of your block. Start to peel away the first 2-3 strings of burlap from each side, as shown below.






 You will get a nice frayed edge. Lightly spray the burlap with your adhesive spray and secure to the block.








Get your trusty hammer and your steel tacks (found at my local Jo-Ann's in the furniture rehupolster section, for less than $2.00 a package),








And simply nail a tack into each corner.








I printed off a monogram that I liked and used a small paintbrush to free-hand this onto the burlap. You could use freezer paper or make your own stencil and use any font you choose.








I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial! Thanks so much for having me, Kristen! Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment